New Filler Pre and Post Instructions at Noor Laser Center in Catonsville MD
Dermal fillers are injections into the skin that are used to reduce creases and wrinkles, support volume loss areas, and shape certain facial areas. For better results, some instructions are required to be followed. Continue reading to learn more about the before and after instructions. For more information, contact us.
One Week Prior to Filler Injections
- Avoid blood thinning over-the-counter medications such as aspirin, Motrin, ibuprofen, and Aleve.
- Avoid supplements, including St. John’s Wort, Gingko Biloba, primrose oil, garlic, ginseng, and Vitamin E.
2 Days Prior to Injections
- Avoid topical products such as Tretinoin (Retin-A), Retinol, Retinoids, Glycolic Acid, or any “anti-aging” products.
- Patient can start taking Arnica two days prior to the procedure. (This is not required, but it will help to lessen bruising.)
24 Hours Prior to Injections
- Do not drink alcoholic beverages 24 hours prior.
- Do not take any blood thinning medications such as Aspirin, Motrin, Ibuprofen, or Aleve.
- If you have previously suffered from facial cold sores, there is a risk that the needle punctures could contribute to another eruption of cold sores. Please let your Nurse/Provider know if you are prone.
- Do not use dermal fillers if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, are allergic to any ingredients, or suffer from neurological disorders.
The Day of Treatment
- Arrive at the office with a “clean face”—washed and without makeup.
- In order to maximize your comfort during the procedure, a topical anesthetic may be applied
What to Do After Fillers:
The First Hour
- Apply an ice pack and Arnica topically—Arnica + Bromelain tablets are both natural supplements to reduce bruising
- Avoid itching, massaging, or picking around the injection site.
24 Hours After Treatment
- Until the swelling and redness have resolved, avoid intense heat in the treated area(s). This includes sunbathing, tanning, saunas, hot tubs, or hot wax.
- If there is a visible bump, you can gently massage the area. Depending on the areas treated and the product used, you may feel “firmness.” These areas will soften and settle with time (usually 1-2 weeks).
- Sunscreen and makeup can be applied, and you may use a gentle cleanser on the area.
- For lip filler avoid drinking from straws, smoking, and anything that makes the “O” shape with your mouth as this can displace the newly placed filler for 2 weeks post-treatment.
How to Reduce Bruising after Fillers
- Avoid drinking alcohol or partaking in strenuous exercise, as it may result in additional bruising.
- To help alleviate bruising, we recommend taking Arnica, and gently applying ice to the area.
PLEASE CONTACT US IMMEDIATELY IF YOU:
- Have fever and/or chills
- Have discolored blotches in areas not injected
- Have blanching of injected areas
- Notice the area appears red and/or hot to the touch
- Have severe or increasing pain